Jobs / Employment

About Work during and after your studies – Information for international Students from non-EU countries

New rules regarding working during and after studying have been effective since August 1, 2012. If you're a citizen of a non-EU member state, this information may be very important for you: 

Maximum duration of studies:  

  • You're required to complete your studies (Bachelor and Masters degree) within the duration of 10 years
  • If you're going to work on a doctorate after that, you should have completed it within five more years

Working while you're studying:  

  • For many students it's a necessity to earn their living through a job while they're studying. Effective immediately, it is allowed to work 120 full or 240 half days per year without a work permit. 
  • Mandatory internships that you need for credit don't need to be considered for that time frame
  • Other internships are permitted, but will count towards the 120 full or 240 half days, even if the internship is unpaid

Working after your graduation: 

  • After you've graduated from a German university, you're entitled to a residence permit for 18 months in order to find an appropriate job 
  • During this time you may work as much as you want
  • Also, during this time you don't need a work permit

Adequate job after your studies: 

  • Once you've found a job that is in accordance with your qualification, be it a bachelors or masters degree, or a doctorate, you can apply for the "Blue Card EU". In order to be approved you need to present a work contract, earning you at least € 44,800 annually (for some professions the minimum salary is € 35,000) 
  • If you've worked in an adequate job for at least 21 months and have German language skills on at least level B1, a settlement permit can be issued (if you don't have the required German skills, after 33 months)
  • Family members who are also looking for a job don't need to apply for a work permit either



1. General information

International students may seek employment as students in Germany. However, such employment is subject to certain legal rules and regulations which are discussed below for various student groups at Fulda University of Applied Sciences. These rules and regulations concern only students who do not come from EU member states. Students from EU countries and Switzerland are free to work in Germany and are not subject to the same limitations as students from other countries.

The Electronic Residence Permit (eAT)



(University Studies must be the main purpose of residency)

  1. A residence permit may be issued for
    1. a preparatory language course or the attendance of the “Studienkolleg” (one-year preparatory course for international students for applicants without university entrance qualification)
    2. studies at a public or an officially recognized  university or similar college 
  1. Requirements for the Regular Issuance (according to §5 German Residence Permit Law)
    1. valid passport
    2. proof of financial resources in the amount of currently 8040 € per year or 670 € per month (health insurance included; only students under 30 are able to be insured by the students’ public health care system. Older students must either pay the regular fee of the public health care system or be privately insured with a plan covering the same services.)
    3. If there is a previous reason for exclusion or deportation in the applicant’s file, the application of residency will be denied
    4. Proof of the required student visa upon entry into the country
  1. Especial Requirements (according to §16 German Residence Permit Law)
    1. University Admission Letter (in case of extension proof of enrolment must be presented)
    2. In case of visa renewal a proof of enrolment and in some cases a transcript of records and/or a certificate concerning the expected length of studies must be presented


     4.  Duration and costs of Residence Permit
          - A Residence Permit for less than one year costs 100 €,
          - A Residence Permit minimum of one year, maximum of 2 years costs 110€, 
          - A renewal costs 80 €

          In case of renewal proof of full-time enrolment must be presented. The average 
          duration of the degree programme shall not be exceeded by more than 3 semesters.

          In case of missing or unsuccessfully completed courses in which the student received 
          a failing grade, the residence permit can be denied or withdrawn. The maximum 
          duration of studies is 10 years (including undergraduate and graduate studies, language courses and preparatory courses).

  1. Cancellation of Residence Permit: “gilt nur für das vorgesehene Studium”, meaning the Residence Permit is only valid for the specific study programme for which the student is enrolled (not for studies in general). In case of change of the study programme or the institution, a new permit must be applied for. 
  1. A change of degree programmes is only permitted during the first three semesters. After three semesters a change is only possible if the total time spent to complete a course was not exceeded and the student can show proof of having seriously pursued his studies. In case of a change of the degree programme, the student must apply for a new residence permit.
  1. During the study programme the residence permit cannot be issued for other purposes (exception: in case of a legal claim).
  1. A Permanent Residence Permit will not be issued.
  1.  International students are only allowed to work 120 days full-time or 240 days part-time (meaning 4 hours per day) per year. In addition, students may have a job as a student assistant at the university. Mandatory internships may be completed as a part of the degree programme requirements (university certificate must be presented) and do not count towards the 120 full or 240 half days. Non-mandatory internships are permitted but count full towards the 120 full or 240 half days, regardless if paid or unpaid.
  1. After successful completion of the degree programme, a residence permit valid for up to 18 months may be granted. The purpose of the permit is to seek appropriate employment in Germany. During this year employment is allowed.

The electronic residence permit (eAT)
Le titre de séjour électronique (eAT)
El permiso de residencia electrónico (eAT)
O título de residência electrónico (eAT)
Elektronik oturma izni (eAT)

russian - eAT
chinese- eAT
arab - eAT
korean - eAT


2. Working without a work permit

 Tutors and student assistants
 Tutors and student assistants do not require a work permit if they perform tasks which are primarily in the area of research and teaching assistance (§ 9 Nr. 8 ArGV). At Fulda University of Applied Sciences, this applies to tutors and student assistants who are employed in the academic departments of the University. However, tutors and student assistants employed in the administrative departments of the University (Central Study Counselling, International Office, University and Hessian State Library, Knowledge Transfer and Further Education Office and Central Administration) may require a work permit (see Section 3 below).

The 120-day rule
 Students from countries outside the European Union may accept temporary employment if the duration of employment does not exceed three months or 120 full days or 240 half days per year. Such employment does not require a work permit. Such employment may be at the University (in the administrative departments) or outside the University. Such employment may be undertaken during the study semester as well as during semester vacation (§ 9 Nr. 9 ArGV), provided that employment does not exceed 15 work hours per week during the study semester. 

3. Working with a work permit

 All employment exceeding 120 full days or 240 half days per year which is not primarily in the area of research and teaching assistance requires a permit from the Alien Office (passport stamp) and a work permit or other approval from the Federal Employment Agency.

Alien Office permit
 The Alien Office permits employment exceeding 120 full days or 240 half days in the following cases:

  • for part-time employment as a student student at Fulda University of Applied Sciences (Ziff. AuslG-VwV) in the administrative departments Central Study Counselling, International Office, University and Hessian State Library, Knowledge Transfer and Further Education Office and Central Administration. Such employment may not exceed 15 work hours per week during the study semester. Students from outside the EU who work in the administrative departments of the University or in the Central Administration also require a work permit from the Federal Employment Agency.
  • in financial emergency situations beyond the student's control, provided the student has pursued his or her studies diligently and the University certifies that successful completion of the course of study is to be expected (Ziff. AuslG-VwV).

Federal Employment Agency work permit
 Before granting a work permit, the Federal Employment Agency must determine whether German citizens or EU citizens in Germany are available to accept the employment. This so-called precedence test procedure is also followed for part-time student employment (student assistantships) at Fulda University of Applied Sciences requiring a work permit, i.e. in the administrative departments of the University and the Central Administration. The Federal Employment Agency in Fulda requires from 7 to 10 days for this procedure. 

4. Employment not permitted

Participants in the DSH Preparatory Courses
Participants in German language courses preparing students for regular studies may not accept employment for the duration of the language course (§ 9 Nr. 9 ArGV, Ziff. AuslG-VwV).

To top